Vega Airplane Co. formed 1938 by renaming AiRover. Affiliate of Lockheed, new plant built adjacent at Burbank to produce Vega Starliner light transport powered by Menasco Unitwin (22 April 1939), also built Vega 35 tandem trainer designed by North American as NA-35. Factory vastly expanded 1940, receiving massive orders, initially for Vega Ventura bomber for RAF. In 1941 became full subsidiary of Lockheed as Vega Aircraft Corp. Factory became Lockheed Plant 2, further expanded to build B-17 from June 1942. Produced PV-1 Ventura and PV-2 Harpoon, losing separate identity on merger into parent 30 November 1943.