GYRODYNE

Gyrodyne Company of America, GCA, formed (originally as PC Helicopter Corp.) by partnership of Greeks 7 August 1946 at Fitzmaurice Field on Long Island. Built series of helicopters with coaxial rotors, including GCA-2 (5 seats, 450-hp) based on design by bankrupt Helicopters Inc., and from it produced GCA-7 with 2 outrigged engines with propellers. Amazingly, work continued and led to Navy/Marines evaluation of XRON-1 Rotorcycle, leading to mass-produced QH-50 pilotless anti-submarine RPV 1959-67.

Read 2771 times