BERLINER-JOYCE

On his father’s death 1929 Henry Berliner joined with Temple Nach Joyce, famed pilot and engineer, forming Berliner-Joyce Aircraft Corp., new plant at Dundalk, Maryland. Series of Army/Navy prototypes followed, starting with Navy XFJ-1 fighter flown May 1930. Only Army P-16 (later redesignated PB-1) 2-seat fighter and OJ-2 Navy observation biplane won production orders. In 1934 North American Aviation bought controlling interest, Joyce went to Bellanca and Berliner left to found Erco, plant becoming NAA B/J Division.

Read 2564 times