BERIEVA AVIATSIONNYI KOMPANIYA (Beriev Aviation Company)
Original Beriev design bureau (OKB) founded in October 1934 by Georgy Mikhailovich Beriev (1902-79); except during of the Second World War, 1942-45, it has been based at Taganrog, in northeast corner of Sea of Azov; since 1948 has been primary centre for Russian seaplane development. Beriev has manufactured more than 20 types of aircraft, most of which have entered series production. In 1990 was redesignated Taganrogsky Aviatsionnyi Nauchno-Tekhnicheky Kompleks imeni G.M. Berieva (TANTK: Taganrog Aviation Scientific-Technical Complex named for G.M. Beriev); became part of AVPK Sukhoi in 1996. As a consequence of this merger, the bureau's products are often manufactured at factories traditionally associated with Sukhoi, the Be-103 Bekas, for example, at Komsomolsk. On 1 January 1998 adopted style, "Beriev Aviation Company" for international promotion, retaining TANTK in Russia. State shareholding is 38 per cent; personnel strength in 2001 was more than 2,000.
Beriev company now includes the experimental design bureau, experimental production facilities, a flight test complex, economic, financial and logistics support services, with test bases and proving grounds at the Black Sea and Sea of Azov. Its products are experimental prototypes of amphibious aircraft and wing-in-ground-effect (WIG) vehicles, together with test reports and technical documentation for their series production. It undertakes design and development of unconventional aircraft in response to requests for proposals from other companies, testing of aircraft and assemblies in maritime conditions, and training of aircrew and ground personnel for seaplane operation. In 2001, Beriev revealed it was developing a multirole amphibian designated Be-112.