CASA

Principal Spanish aircraft company, Construcciones Aeronáuticas SA was founded 3 March 1923 by Don José Ortez Echague. Work began 1924 at Madrid Getafe, primary aim being to produce metal aircraft for Ejercito del Aire. Major programmes included Breguet XIX (400), Dornier Wal (40) and Vickers Vildebeeste (27). After civil war second plant at Seville produced 25 Gö 145, 25 Bü 133 and 555 Bü 131, together with 170 Ju 52/3m (CASA 352L) and 200 He 111H-16 (CASA 2.111). Subsequent manufacture included Do 25 prototype, 50 Do 27 (CASA 127), 70 F-5A/B Freedom Fighters and 81 BO 105 helicopters. Among numerous other tasks are participation in EFA (13%) and Airbus (4.2%), as partner in each case; DC-10/MD-11 tailplane, B.757 flap, Falcon 100 wing, Mirage F1 centre fuselage, entire wing of Saab 2000, and major programmes in engines and avionics. First original design CASA.III 2-seat parasol tourer 1929. CASA.201 Alcotan twin-engined transport flew February 1949, 112 built. CASA.202 Halcón transport (2 x 775-hp) flew May 1953, 20 plus 1 much more powerful 202B. C.207 Azor transport (2 x 2,040-hp Hercules) flew September 1955, 22 built. Via SIAT, MBB and Hispano Aviación, CASA built 50 CASA.223 Flamingo trainers. Major new design C.212 Aviocar twin-turboprop transport flew 26 March 1971, total by 1992 459 including 114 licence-built by IPTN. Assisted by MBB and Northrop, CASA flew prototype C.101 Aviojet military trainer 27 June 1977, total late 1991 143 including 32 assembled by ENAER. Major new projects AX jet trainer/attack aircraft and 3000 twin-turboprop in 75-seat class. In 1999 CASA became a subsidiary of the EADS under the name CASA EADS and in 2009 was absorbed into Airbus Military.

Read 174 times