One of chief aircraft companies in pre-1930 Germany, Albatros Werke AG founded 1909 at Berlin-Johannisthal. Built Antoinettes under licence, but appointment of Ernst Heinkel as chief designer in 1913 led to very important 2-seat biplanes in B-series (reconnaissance) and C-series (general purpose fighter/attack). A different team under Dipl.-Ing. Robert Thielen produced single-seat fighters (D-series) noteworthy for their beautifully streamlined fuselages. Nearly all Albatros combat types were made in large numbers, often by several companies. Smaller numbers made of G-series bombers and J-series armoured close-support aircraft. Production of Albatros designs exceeded 10,300 by end of 1918. Work then began on civil types, numbered L 58-L 102. They included trainers, tourers and L 72 light transport and twin-engined L 73 and Jupiter-engined 73a used on international routes by Luft Hansa. New company, Albatros-Flugzeugwerke GmbH, formed 1925. In September 1931 Albatros was merged into Focke-Wulf Flugzeugbau GmbH in Bremen, Berlin works becoming Focke-Wulf Johannisthal. See also Memel.