TYPE: Four-seat lightplane.
PROGRAMME: Project started in 2000 at Brno University; intended to be first of a family of four- to seven-seat aircraft. Development began in August 2001, with construction of first VUT 100-120i prototype (OK-EVE) beginning in February 2003; first flight 11 November 2004 (official first flight 16 November 2004) and by January 2005 had completed 14 flights. Exhibited at Aero '05, Friedrichshafen, April 2005 and AirVenture '05, August 2005. Certification intended by end 2006.
CURRENT VERSIONS: VUT 100-120i Cobra: Baseline version, as described.
VUT 100-120TDi: Powered by 169 kW (227 hp) SMA SR 305 diesel engine driving an MT Propeller MTV-9 three-blade, constant-speed propeller, diameter 1.96 m (6 ft 5 in). Not yet introduced.
VUT 100-131i Super Cobra: Second version introduced; will have 235 kW (315 hp) Textron Lycoming IO-580-B1A driving MT-Propeller MTV-9 three-blade, constant-speed propeller, diameter 1.98 m (6 ft 6 in). Fuel capacity as VUT 100-120i. Prototype (OK-RAF) made first flight on 24 October 2006.
DESIGN FEATURES: Multipurpose, all-metal aircraft designed to meet FAR/JAR 23 and a range of tasks including sport flying, basic and advanced training and aero-towing.
FLYING CONTROLS: Conventional and manual. Electrically operated flaps.
STRUCTURE: All-metal airframe with composites non-structural parts, such as cowlings.
LANDING GEAR: Tricycle type; retractable.
POWER PLANT: One 149 kW (200 hp) Textron Lycoming IO-360-A1B6 flat-four, driving an MT-Propeller MTV-12 three-blade, constant-speed propeller. Fuel capacity 340 litres (89.8 US gallons; 74.8 Imp gallons) in all versions.
ACCOMMODATION: Pilot and up to four passengers.
All data are provisional.
AVIONICS: Comms: Garmin GMA 430 nav/com/GPS, GNC 250XL com/GPS, GTX 327 transponder and GMA 340 audio panel.
Flight: S-TEC S55X autopilot.
Instrumentation: SAGEM ICDS 10 primary flight display and multifunction display. Optional avionics include Bendix/King KN 62A DME, KR 87 ADF, Ryan 9900BX TAS and L-3 WX-500 stormscope.
- Wing span: 10.20 m (33 ft 5½ in)
- Length overall: 8.00 m (26 ft 3 in)
- Propeller diameter: 1.83 (6 ft 0 in)
- Cabin: Length: 3.10 m (10 ft 2 in)
- Max width: 1.31 m (4 ft 3½ in)
- Max height: 1.22 m (4 ft 0 in)
WEIGHTS AND LOADINGS (A: 100-120i; B: 100-131i):
- Weight empty: A: 830 kg (1,830 lb)
- B: 880 kg (1,940 lb)
- Max T-O weight: A: 1,330 kg (2,932 lb)
- B: 1,451 kg (3,200 lb)
PERFORMANCE (A, B as above, estimated):
- Max level speed: A: 155 kt (287 km/h; 178 mph)
- B: 180 kt (333 km/h; 207 mph)
- Stalling speed, flaps down:
- A: 50 kt (93 km/h; 58 mph)
- B: 55 kt (102 km/h; 64 mph)
- Max rate of climb at S/L: A, B: 305 m (1,000 ft)/min
- Range with max fuel:
- A: 1,080 n miles (2,000 km; 1,242 miles)
- B: 1,000 n miles (1,852 km; 1,150 miles)
- Endurance: A: 8 h
- B: 6 h
- g limits: Normal: +3.8/-1.52
- Utility: +4.4/-1.76