TYPE: Side-by-side lightplane/kitbuilt.
PROGRAMME: Announced in 2004, developed for the Light Sport Aircraft (LSA) category as a derivative of the earlier teamEurostar and Harmony. First flight mid-2003; certification achieved December 2003. Became first type to receive FAA Special Airworthiness Certificate tor LSA category.
CURRENT VERSIONS: SportStar: Initial version, available as kit or ready to fly.
SportStar II: Improved version for LSA category; has tail skid with integral tie-down point; increased fuel capacity; and canopy with steel frame. Launched at Sun 'n' Fun, April 2006 under name of SportStar SE (Special Edition).
CUSTOMERS: By October 2004, sales to Argentina, Australia, Canada, Czech Republic, Romania and the United States has been achieved.
COSTS: Kit USD67.000; ready-to-fly USD98.500 (2006).
DESIGN FEATURES: Airframe based on the Harmony, with higher maximum take-off weight, increased wing span, wider cabin and redesigned landing gear. Quoted quick-build kit time 200 hours.
FLYING CONTROLS: As teamEurostar; electric flaps.
STRUCTURE: As teamEurostar.
LANDING GEAR: As teamEurostar. Optional skis and floats.
POWER PLANT: One 73.4 kW (98.4 hp) Rotax 912 ULS driving a VZLU V230C three-blade on-ground adjustable-pitch propeller; 59.6 kW (79.9 hp) Rotax 912 UL can also be fitted. Usable fuel capacity 118 litres (31,2 US gallons; 26.0 Imp gallons) are usable.
AVIONICS: As teamEurostar; optional autopilot.
ACCOMMODATION: As teamEurostar.
EQUIPMENT: Optional ballistic parachute and aerotow hook.
- Wing span: 8.65 m (28 ft 4½ in)
- Length overall: 5.98 m (19 ft 7½ in)
- Height overall: 2.33 m (7 ft 7¾ in)
- Cabin max width: 1.18 m (3 ft 10½ in)
- Baggage hold volume: 0.18 m³ (6.2 cu ft)
WEIGHTS AND LOADINGS:
- Weight empty: 303 kg (668 lb)
- Max baggage weight: 25 kg (55 lb)
- Max T-O weight: 550 kg (1,212 lb)
- Max power loading: 7.50 kg/kW (12.32 lb/hp)
- Never-exceed speed (VNE): 146 kt (270 km/h; 168 mph)
- Max operating speed: 115 kt (213 km/h; 132 mph)
- Normal cruising speed at 75% power: 110 kt (204 km/h; 127 mph)
- Stalling speed, power off: flaps up: 44 kt (81 km/h; 51 mph)
- flaps down: 39 kt (72 km/h; 45 mph)
- Max rate of climb at S/L: 258 m (846 ft)/min
- Service ceiling: 4,000 m (13,120 ft)
- T-O run: 170 m (558 ft)
- Landing run: 165 m (541 ft)
- Range with max fuel: 700 n miles (1,296 km; 805 miles)
- Endurance: 8 h 0 min
- g limits: +6/-3