TYPE: Side-by-side ultralight/kitbuilt.
PROGRAMME: Developed as P 220 UL from Pottier P 220 S Koala; extensive redesign started in September 1996; prototype (OK-CUR 97), then known as Eurostar, made first flight May 1997; first customer delivery October 1997. Certified as ultralight in Belgium, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Slovak Republic, Spain, Switzerland and United Kingdom. First UK-built example (G-NIDG, by distributor Cosmik Aviation) flown in April 2000. Local assembly in China by Guizhou Evektor Aircraft Corporation (GEAC); first flight by Chinese-assembled EV-97, 24 October 2000; this agreement ended 2005 and aircraft now sold direct, although a Chinese UAV has been developed.
CURRENT VERSIONS: Eurostar 2000: Introduced late 1999, replacing Eurostar Model 99. Increased fuselage width (4 cm; 1 in); modified wingtips and increased span; larger ailerons; steerable nosewheel; flush, oval nose air intake. Available factory-built or as kit.
teamEurostar 2001: Further-improved version, introduced in early 2001; choice of Rotax 912 UL or more powerful 912 ULS engine. Name changed to avoid conflict with Eurostar France-UK rail link.
teamEurostar 2002: Further improved version meeting Sport Pilot NRPM in USA.
teamEurostar 2005: Further improvements incorporated, including optional electric flaps and new cockpit layout; as described.
CUSTOMERS: More than 500 (all versions) ordered, including 36 Model 2000, of which 470 were flying by August 2005. Customers in Belgium, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Slovak Republic, Spain, Sweden, UK, Ukraine and USA.
COSTS: EUR52,000 excluding taxes (2006).
DESIGN FEATURES: Low-wing monoplane; modified NACA 4415 aerofoil section; dihedral 3°. Wing folding optional.
FLYING CONTROLS: Conventional and manual. Dual controls, rod-operated ailerons and elevator. Four-position (0/15/30/50°) mechanically operated split flaps; electrical operation optional. Elevators, starboard aileron and rudder have trim tabs.
STRUCTURE: Fuselage, wings and empennage of anodised, corrosion-proofed aluminium, riveted and bonded; wingtips, cowling and mainwheel legs in GFRP.
LANDING GEAR: Tricycle type; fixed. Fuselage-mounted cantilever mainwheel legs. Hydraulic mainwheel disc brakes and (in current version) steerable nosewheel. Wheel sizes 350x140 (main), 300x100 (nose). Optional wheel fairings or mudguards. Optional floats and skis.
POWER PLANT: One 59.6 kW (79.9 hp) Rotax 912 UL flat-four engine standard, with VZLU V230C two-blade, fixed-pitch wooden propeller; 73.5 kW (98.6 hp) Rotax 912 ULS and V534BD-UL three-blade, constant-speed (hydraulic), wooden propeller optional. Jabiru 2200 also optional. Fuel capacity 70 litres (18.5 US gallons; 15.4 Imp gallons) of which 65 litres (17.2 US gallons; 14.3 Imp gallons) are usable.
ACCOMMODATION: Front-hinged, upward-opening canopy, with additional transparency aft of rear frame. Space for 15 kg (33 lb) of baggage aft of seats. Early versions had canopy/rear transparency break line further forward. Optional replacement of rear transparency by metal fairing and bulged cabin sides.
SYSTEMS: 12 V (battery) electrical system.
AVIONICS: To customer's specification.
EQUIPMENT: Optional ballistic parachute, wing-folding mechanism and aero-tow hook.
- Wing span: 8.10 m (26 ft 7 in)
- Length overall: 5.98 m (19 ft 7½ in)
- Fuselage max width: 1.04 m (3 ft 5 in)
- Height overall: 2.34 m (7 ft 8¼ in)
- Wheel track: 1.60 m (5 ft 3 in)
- Wheelbase: 1.40 m (4 ft 7 in)
- Cabin max width: standard: 1.04 m (3 ft 5 in)
- optional: 1.18 m (3 ft 10½ in)
- Wings, gross: 9.84 m² (105.9 sq ft)
WEIGHTS AND LOADINGS:
- Weight empty: 262 kg (578 lb)
- Max T-O weight: 450 kg (992 lb) (480 kg (1,058 lb) permitted in Slovak Republic and United Kingdom)
PERFORMANCE (at 450 kg; 992 lb MTOW. A: Rotax 912 UL engine, B: Rotax 912 ULS):
- Never-exceed speed (VNE):
- A, B: 145 kt (270 km/h; 167 mph) IAS
- Max level speed: A: 121 kt (225 km/h; 139 mph) IAS
- B: 132 kt (245 km/h; 152 mph) IAS
- Max cruising speed: A: 97 kt (180 km/h; 112 mph) IAS
- B: 108 kt (200 km/h; 124 mph) IAS
- Stalling speed, flaps down:
- A, B: 36 kt (65 km/h; 41 mph) CAS
- Max rate of climb at S/L: A: 330 m (1,083 ft)/min
- B: 480 m (1,574 ft)/min
- Service ceiling: A, B: 5,000 m (16,400 ft)
- T-O run: A: 145 m (475 ft)
- B: 100 m (330 ft)
- Landing run: A, B: 200 m (660 ft)
- Max range, standard fuel:
- A, B: 432 n miles (800 km; 497 miles)
- g limits: A, B: +6/-3
OPERATIONAL NOISE LEVELS:
- To German LSL Chapter 6: 60 dBA