PROGRAMME: Prototype built in Slovak Republic circa 2003, unannounced; registered OM-M666 and named Tucniak (penguin); based at Lambert company aerodrome at Wevelgem since early 2004; second prototype (59-COP/P-JPQX) with redesign and new engine made first flight from there 18 November 2005; prototype Tucniak moved to Moorsele, Belgium, but with French registration 59-COQ and call-sign FJPQS. Formally announced at PFA Flying for Fun, Kemble, UK, 1 July 2005. Production of initial batch of eight started December 2005 in Slovak Republic with final assembly in Belgium; type certificate awarded 3 April 2006 by Belgian CAA.
COSTS: EUR36.900 flyaway (2006).
DESIGN FEATURES: High, constant-chord wing braced to lower longerons by circular-section V struts and auxiliary strut each side; sweptback fin and mid-mounted tailplane. Original landing gear of side Vs and half-axles replaced prior to launch by cantilever type; Volkswagen and Rotax engines initially flown and found to be unsatisfactory; replaced by UL260i.
FLYING CONTROLS: Conventional and manual. Balanced ailerons and flaps, both operated by pushrods. Plain-hinged elevator and rudder; former cable-actuated; latter operated by pushrods and with flight-adjustable trim tab to port.
STRUCTURE: Welded steel alloy tube fuselage and empennage, both with fabric covering; fabric-covered wing built on dual tubular aluminium spars.
LANDING GEAR: Fixed; tailwheel type standard; nosewheel type optional. Fuselage-mounted, spring glass fibre cantilever mainwheel legs with optional fairings. Mainwheels 14x4 with hydraulic disc brakes; steerable tailwheel 200x50.
POWER PLANT: One 61.1 kW (82 hp), FADEC-controlled UL Power UL260i flat-four, directly driving a two-blade (optionally three-blade) wooden, fixed-pitch propeller. Option of 59.6 kW (79.9 hp) Rotax 912 or 73.5 kW (98.6 hp) Rotax 912S. Composites fuel tanks in wings and header tank in fuselage; total capacity 70 litres (18.5 US gallons; 15.4 Imp gallons) of which 64 litres (16.9 US gallons; 14.1 Imp gallons) usable.
AVIONICS: Dynon Avionics D-10A EFIS and EMS-D10 standard. Optional Avmap EKPIV moving map display.
EQUIPMENT: Optional ballistic recovery parachute.
- Wing span: 9.32 m (30 ft 7 in)
- Length: 5.65 m (18 ft 6½ in)
- Height overall: tailwheel: 1.80 m (5 ft 10¾ in)
- nosewheel: 1.95 m (6 ft 4¾ in)
- Wings, gross: 11.80 m² (127.01 sq ft)
WEIGHTS AND LOADINGS:
- Weight empty: 260 kg (573 lb)
- Max T-O weight: 450 kg (992 lb)
- where allowed: 495 kg (1,091 lb)
- Never-exceed speed (VNE): 113 kt (210 km/h; 130 mph)
- Max operating speed: 100 kt (185 km/h; 115 mph)
- Normal cruising speed: 85 kt (157 km/h; 98 mph)
- Stalling speed, flaps down: 35 kt (65 km/h; 41 mph)
- Max rate of climb at S/L: 305 m (1,000 ft)/min
- T-O run: 110 m (361 ft)
- Range at 75% power: 391 n miles (650 km; 403 miles)