WIENER-NEUSTÄDTER

Named for city which, despite name, is 40 miles south of Vienna, Wiener-Neustädter Flughafen Betriebs GmbH formed 1933 to run airport and provide services. Produced series of sport and light commercial aircraft, ending 1936 WN.16 twin-boom 2-seat pusher. After German takeover 1938 merged forcibly with Hirtenberg, renamed Wiener-Neustädter-Flugzeugwerke GmbH and vast new plant built specifically to mass-produce Bf 109. Also built Doblhoff prototypes, hence WNF designations.

Read 36 times