ZAKLADY LOTNICZE 3XTRIM Sp. z o.o. (3Xtrim Aircraft Factory)
Company was formed in 1996 as WNKL A Kurbiel (formed President, who died in July 2000), changing to its present title in November 1999, but has its roots in the SZD-PZL-Bielsko which for some 40 years has been the major producer of Polish high-performance sailplanes and gliders. Factories at Bielsko-Biata and Szczecin have floor areas of 700 and 1,500 m2 (7,535 and 16,145 sq ft) respectively; combined workforce 20 in January 2003.
AERO Sp. z o.o.
Company formed in 1994. Three P.220 Panda kits were ordered from Aerotechnik of Czech Republick that year, being given Polish designation suffix AT-2 (AT-1 having been a single-seat homebuilt design started in 1987). These all differed dimensionally and were variously fitted with Walter Mikron or 55.9 kW (75 hp) Limbach engines (first flight 12 December 1995 by c/n 001 SP-PUL, later SP-FUL). Third aircraft subsequently developed with more powerful Limbach and other modifications for production in Poland as AT-3; now available also with similarly rated Rotax power plant.
Address: ul.COP-u 2, 39-300 Mielec (EPML), POLAND
Tel: +48 177745700
Fax: +48 177745718
S2T Aviation, 125 High Road, North Weald, Essex CM16, 6EA
Tel: (+44 1992) 52 27 97
Fax: (+44 7753) 57 59 96
FUNDACJA AGROLOT (Agrolot Foundation)
This foundation (established 1990) is responsible for the PZL-126P Mrowka programme previously managed by PZL Warszawa-Okecie. The prototype made its maiden flight in October 2000, some three years later than originally planned but was not expected to enter full flight test programme until 2002. Confirmation of this had not been received by early 2003.
EADS PZL WARSZAWA-OKECIE SA
Okecie factory founded in 1928; currently occupies 279,373 m2 (3,007,140 sq ft) site with 88,691 m2 (954,660 sq ft) covered area. Responsible for light aircraft development and production, and for design and manufacture of associated agricultural equipment for its own aircraft and those built at other Polish factories; known as PZL Warszawa-Okecie; became public stock company, entirely owned by Ministry of Industry and Trade, on 2 January 1995; by 1 January 2000 had produced 3,777 aircraft since 1945, including 33 in 1995, eight in 1996; 11 in 1997, 20 in 1998 and eight in 1999; workforce in 2002 was over 800. ISO 9001 status was awarded on 3 December 1999.
On 17 October 2001, as part of the contract to supply eight C-295M transports to the Polish Air Force, EADS CASA acquired a 51 per cent holding in EADS PZL. Integration of PZL into EADS is ahead of schedule, and facilities are being refurnished and modernised for new activities. These will include increasing importance as an aerostructures centre and as a supplier of crop-spraying/firefighting aircraft and services. Components for the CASA C-295 and CN-235 transports are already being produced by Okecie, and extensive modernisation of the PZL-130TC-1 Orlik is to be undertaken for the Polish Air Force. Discussions were under way in mid-2003 of a proposal to combine the activities of EADS PZL with those of EADS Socata.
Company continues to develop the PZL-240 Pelikan biplane water bomber project, last reported in the late 1990s.
INSTYTUT LOTNICTWA (Aviation Institute)
Founded 1926; recognised as main design, research and development centre for Polish government organisations and aviation industry; conducts scientific research, including investigation of problems associated with low-speed and high-speed aerodynamics, static and fatigue tests, development and testing of aero-engines, flight instruments, space science instrumentation, and other equipment, flight tests, and materials technology; also responsible for construction of aircraft and aero-engines. I-23 Manager lightplane programme now transferred to, and awaiting launch by, PZL-Swidnik; development of IS-2 helicopter in abeyance by April 2003.
Address: aleja Krakowska 110/114, PL-02-256 Warszawa
Tel: (+48 22) 846 00 11 and 846 08 01
Fax: (+48 22) 846 44 32
General Aviation Design Office:
Address and fax as above
Tel: (+48 22) 868 56 81
Address and fax as above
Tel: (+48 22) 846 38 12
POLSKIE ZAKLADY LOTNICZE Sp. z o.o. (Polish Aviation Factory LLC)
As the result of a restructuring process carried out by the Polish government, the former WSK-PZL Mielec and its subsidiary PZL Mielec Aircraft Company Ltd were subjected to liquidation proceedings in 1998. To replace the parent company, a new business entity under the above title came into operation on 23 October 1998. With its more than 60 years of history, a late 2002 workforce of 1,700 and the production facilities, technology, design and testing capabilities inherited from its predecessor, Polish Aviation Factory LLC remains the largest and best-equipped aircraft manufacturing plant in Poland. It is licensed to operate within the Europark Mielec special economic zone. In July 1999, its production facilities were certified by Poland's General Inspectorate of Civil Aviation under JAR 21 Subsection G, followed in September 1999 by design organisation approval under JAR 21 Subsection A. Quality management system (QMS) certification has been awarded by BAE Systems, and similar approval from Boeing was awarded subsequently. In mid-2001, the factory was progressing towards ISO 9001 and AQAP-110 certification.
PZL's current indigenous aircraft programmes comprise the M18 Dromader, M26 Iskierka, M28B Bryza M28 Skytruck. Four An-2s delivered to the Vietnamese People's Air Force in January 2002 following brief reopening of the Polish production line to complete aircraft abandoned a decade earlier; service support for some 12,000 previously delivered An-2s continues. Subcontract work continues for BAE Systems (Hawk), Boeing (757), GKN Westland (for Boeing 737), Saab (Gripen) and Pratt & Whitney.
WYTWORNIA SPRZETU KOMUNIKACY JNEGO (Transport Equipment Corporation)
PZL SWIDNIK is a major helicopter manufacturer since 1954. Our main products are twin-engine, multipurpose helicopters: Mi-2, Mi-2 plus, PZL Kania, PZL Sokol, granted Polish, Russian, US and Germany type certificates. The newest products of PZL SWIDNIK is the one-engine helicopter SW-4. We heave modern machinery, latest chemical treatment technology, light metal alloy forging shop. Experience in production of epoxy-glass composites. Our company has all-required government licenses to sell the full range of products.
SERWIS SAMOLOTOW HISTORYCZNYCH JANUSZ KARASIEWICZ (Janusz Karasiewicz Historic Aircraft Service)
SSH is certified by the Polish Aviation Authority as an approved production organisation under JAR 21, Subpart G. In addition to producing the Bu 131, it was building a prototype of a related aircraft, the Bu-133P Jungmeister, in late 2001. This was to have flown in 2002, using the original Siemens Sh-14A radial engine, but apparently had not done so by mid-2003.
Address: PL-43 385 Jasiennica 829c
Tel: (+48 33) 815 34 91
Fax: (+48 33) 815 34 92
Bucker Flugzeugbau GmbH, Langwiederstrasse 1, D-85757 Karlsfeld-Grobenried
Tel: (+49 8131) 789 26
Fax: (+49 8131) 803 14
ZAKLAD REMONTOW I PRODUKCJI SPRZETU LOTNICZEGO (Aviation Equipment Repair and Production Works)
Edward Marganski has been connected with the design of several Polish light aircraft. His latest designs are the EM-10 Bielik, envisaged as a modern successor to the TS-11 Iskra jet trainer, and EM-11 Orka twin-engined utility aircraft.
Company established 1986 as first aeronautical private enterprise in Poland, initially inspecting and repairing wooden gliders and later extending capabilities to overhaul and repair of motor gliders and all-composites sailplanes. Cooperated with Krakow Aviation Museum in reconstructing four historical aircraft, followed by Grunau Baby reconstruction for a Swedish customer. Designed, built and flew Swift S-1 and MDM-1 Fox sailplanes under contract to those companies during 1990s, eventually producing nearly 30 of each type and modifying latter as motor glider. Bielik programme started 1999.
Non-aviation work has included composites components for motorcar bodies and, for Euros GmbH of Germany, 44 m (144.4 ft) diameter rotor blades for wind energy converters (WECs). In 2002, for customer in Belarus, designed and built components for a 1 MW WEC station said to be world's first to be based on the Magnus (rotating cylinder) effect. The factory has a floor area of 650 m2 (7,000 sq ft) and a workforce (December 2002) of 27.